Iowa’s economic momentum has slowed in recent years.
I am ready to help turn things around with smart investments that will boost family incomes and improve Iowa communities. In particular, we must do more to revitalize our small towns and rural areas.
We can do it by:
• Investing in community colleges, apprenticeships and job-training that help Iowans get ahead.
• Putting local employees and businesses first.
• Committing resources to better roads, water and local projects.
• Making sure families have affordable housing and safe neighborhoods.
We have lots of opportunities with homegrown energy – solar, wind and biofuels. Solar and wind already support more than 7,000 Iowa jobs and nearly 300 Iowa businesses. Ethanol and biodiesel also provide thousands more jobs and good incomes for Iowa farmers.
We can create even more opportunities in every corner of the state by:
• Giving Iowa businesses seeking to sell products and services to the state the chance to match competing out-of-state bids.
• Installing high-speed internet throughout the state so that Iowans with ideas and ambition have the tools they need to succeed.
• Expanding incentives to build safe, affordable housing for working families where it is most needed.
• Putting more resources into Main Street companies that are committed to their communities.